Job title: design of electrochemical systems
Job description: Gemmate Technologies (www.gemmate-technologies.com) is a technological enterprise which innovates existing products and develops new ones from science and technology advances. In the frame of its wide international collaboration network with public and private research organizations and enterprises potential businesses are evaluated, novel production solutions developed from early-stage research to commercialization in the frame of the circular economy paradigm, by up-scaling the key enabling technologies throughout the production value chains of the most profitable sectorial fields.
Energy conversion and storage is an essential enabler of the energy transition which allow us to time-shift bulk energy from renewables production to time of energy demand, and enable the production of clean, stable power and frequency, avoiding voltage spikes, which is particularly important for the digital economy. Among a variety of technologies, electrochemical devices have drawn considerable attention in recent years.
We search for a professional figure interested in designing, understanding, and optimizing electrochemical systems through accurate simulation. The analysis involves physics phenomena such as transport of charged and neutral species, charge balances, chemical and electrochemical reactions, Joule heating and thermal effects due to electrochemical reactions, heat transfer, fluid flow, and other physical phenomena that are important for the understanding of an electrochemical system. The model will be used for sensitivity analysis, optimisation purpose, and performance quantification, leading to the formulation of the up-scaled design at the system and component levels.
Aiming at a long-lasting relationship, we are searching for the right person to invest on, to complement / enrich our technical staff – relatively young and heterogeneous – to pursue the growth roadmap and fulfil its mission. In the short-term you will use your background and develop the missing skills by working in the frame of Horizon Europe funded collaborative research projects developing systems like batteries, supercapacitors and photoelectrochemical cells for several industrial sectors (e.g.: energy, chemicals, e-mobility, IoT, sport&leisure). In the mid-term we expect you will be in a pivotal position to help with new insights and ideas for the future launch of product of this type.
Your primary tasks will be to:
- Data needs swap with colleagues and project partners
- Understanding requirements and constraints
- Materials, components, and systems design by means of Multiphysics modelling
- Contribute to the device development and scaling up
- Device testing and evaluation of results
- Analyse the IPR patenting, and disseminate the results through communication for stakeholders and peer-to-peer publications
- You possess a solid scientific background in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Energy Engineering, or related disciplines. Candidates with PhD will be closely evaluated.
- You have knowledge in Multiphysics simulation and its widely used software packages.
- Experience in COMSOL Multiphysics with Electrochemistry or Battery Design Modules will be considered a plus.
- You have knowledge in materials generally used in electrochemistry systems and their properties.
- You have interest in novel technologies and enjoy working in interdisciplinary teams
Job location: Turin, Italy.
Contact person: Alessio Tommasi, PhD; e-mail: email@example.com