- Project title: Sustainable Aluminium additive Manufacturing fOr high performance Applications
- Project acronym: SAMOA
- Start date: April 1st, 2019
- Duration: 36 months
- Area: D2 Acceleration
- Segment: D2.2 Upscaling project
- Lighthouse: Raw Materials and Circular Societies
The SAMOA project, supported by EIT Raw Materials, aims to upscale the process chain of raw aluminium alloys from material efficient powder production, energy efficient laser and arc wire additive manufacturing to material recycling in order to reduce material need of up to 50%. New high strength aluminium alloys with reduced Si content, increased material strength and processable will be developed. The performance and sustainability will be shown in a demonstrative processing chain.
The introduction into the market of improved methods to produce and use standard aluminium alloys and the design of new alloys for automotive applications will be carried out by SAMOA. The partners will gain a market advantage, especially compared to low labourcost Non European competitors. End user partners who put their main interest on the automotive market and the medical tools and rail vehicle market will have the opportunity to develop demonstrator parts with the help of the proposed innovation for the implementation into the production chain of the addressed products. In addition, the arc wire process will be implemented into the process chain and validate the possibility of mass production.
- Mechanical characterization of materials in compliance with existing standards to obtain the parameters for implementing the finite element modelling.
- Design of ad hoc specimens for carrying out of the TRL increase.
- Characterization of identical specimens according to the protocols defined.
- Definition of pre-normative standard for AM technology.
- Contribution to functional design, development, and testing of demonstrative prototypes.