Job title: material and product designing
Job description: Gemmate Technologies (www.gemmate-technologies.com) is a technological enterprise which innovates existing products and develops new ones from science and technology advances. In the frame of its wide international collaboration network with public and private research organizations and enterprises potential businesses are evaluated, novel production solutions developed from early-stage research to commercialization in the frame of the circular economy paradigm, by up-scaling the key enabling technologies throughout the production value chains of the most profitable sectorial fields.
In several industry sectors, Laser-based Additive Manufacturing is investigated to produce high value parts of very complex designs, not manufacturable by conventional technologies, while their low production throughput and high cost prevent them from a more extensive use. The optimum way to exploit the benefits of Additive Manufacturing in the industry is to combine it with lower-cost manufacturing technologies. In a hybrid approach, the thickness of the preforms can be thinner with small additions of materials only where needed and with selected geometry and composition. Such an approach will allow to locally tailor the mechanical properties according to their expected behavior. The local deposition of material over relatively thin substrates will be leading to part distortion. The challenge of increased deformation needs to be tackled. For that, the process will be modelled to define feedstock, manufacturing constraints, cooling strategies, pre- and post-treatments for making process optimizations and design adaptions.
We search an engineer, or a PhD, having interest/expertise in Multiphysics and Multiscale modelling and simulation of processes and products. You will join our modelling and design team to model manufacturing processes with the aim to define the ideal process parameters. You will co-operate to find the most suitable material properties and to design customised products. The study will involve phenomena like structural mechanics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer.
In the frame of our collaboration network, you will be primarily involved in the execution of collaborative research projects developing hybrid manufacturing approaches which combine lower cost manufacturing technologies with laser-based additive processes. In the short-term you will use your background and develop the missing skills by working in the frame of a Horizon Europe funded collaborative research projects on specific use-cases identified for the automotive industry. While in the mid-term we expect you will be in a pivotal position to help with new insights and ideas for the future launch of product of this type.
Your primary tasks will be to:
- Data needs swap with colleagues and project partners
- Understanding the use case requirements and constraints
- Material, process, and product engineering by Multiscale and Multiphysics modelling
- Contribute to the demonstrator development
- Demonstrator testing and evaluation of results
- Analyse the IPR patenting, and disseminate the results through communication for stakeholders and peer-to-peer publications
- You possess a solid scientific background in Mechanical or Energy Engineering or Materials Science, or related disciplines. Candidates with PhD will be closely evaluated.
- You have knowledge in Multiphysics simulation and its widely used software packages.
- Experience in computational tools for material properties prediction (e.g.: Thermo-Calc) will be considered a plus.
- You have skills in material characterization and testing, and failure analysis.
- You have interest in novel technologies and enjoy working in interdisciplinary teams
Job location: Turin, Italy.
Contact person: Alessio Tommasi, PhD; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org